Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Long Distance Friendships

So we know all about long-distance relationships, I know that I rant about them plenty. And there’s a ton of self-help articles on how to make them work and keep them strong. But what about your friends who are just as important to you as your SO? How do you keep those friendships just as strong as your relationship? Well here are just a few tips that my best friend and I stick to in order to keep the friendship fire blazing.

First of all everyone, meet Sydney Leigh.


She is a beautiful, strong, driven, sorority woman who has also held the title of my bestest, closest, and dearest friend for over 7 years now.

1. Articles
            If you find a great one that reminds you of your best friend, SHOW HER! Put it on her Facebook, tweet it at her, email it to her. Do it however your means allow, but just make sure you show her. Believe me, nothing feels better than getting a notification of something your best friend has sent you. And if you don’t know where to find them, try this one or this one for starters.
2. Pictures of hot men
            Nothing says “I miss you!” more than a nice picture of a hot man (preferably holding a puppy) posted all over her Facebook.
3. Random texts
            It’s amazing what a simple “I hope you have a great day!” text can do to turn around your best friend’s day.
4. Snapchats
            This is pretty self-explanatory. If you and your best friend are anywhere near as close as Syd and I then you should have no reservations when it comes to sending the ugly selfie, because your best friend loves you and won’t ever judge you. (Side note: best friends also love the drunken snapchats as well.)
5. Facebook messenger
            Keep a running conversation! I currently have one of these with 3 of my close friends here at school. We don’t get to see each other all the time, but we’re still in touch with one another. Syd and I have one too. This is especially great if you aren't supposed to be texting in class but the professor has no clue what’s going on on the other side of your computer screen.
6. Skype/Facetime
            This one is also pretty self-explanatory. Sometimes just texting just doesn't get all the emotion across. You have to see your friend’s face when she talks about that guy that you both have hated ever since freshman year. It makes your conversation 10 times better I promise.
7. Go see them!
            And finally, if you can, just go see them. All of these tips are nothing compared to the feeling you get when you hug your best friend after being away for a long time.

 While Syd and I are lucky enough to be able to see each other whenever I go home to see my family, I know that not everyone has that opportunity.  I seriously hope that if you didn't already use these tips, you will now. I promise you, it’s just the little things that can keep your friendships just as strong as your relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment